Sunday, February 26, 2006

I am what I am because of who we all are

What DOES the title mean anyway? No its not about some human rights discussion or a cool catch phrase (actually it just might. Hmm). Actually its the definition of the Linux distro I've been using as of last year. Ubuntu.

Linux. Ahhh...my favorite OS. Aside from OS-X that is. Not that I haven't tried out any *bsd systems its just that Linux just works better for me (And easier too. Though i know of 1 or 2 people would disagree with me). Anyways I've tried out quite a few distro's i.e. RedHat, Slackware (my FAVORITE distro EVER), Fedora Core, CentOS and of course, Ubuntu. Now Ubuntu is TRULY a distro suited for the masses IMHO. It has such a simplistic and intuitive installer. If memory serves me right you just need to answer 6 questions to get a fully functional system.

I've been using Ubuntu 5.0.4 or more commonly known as Hoary Hedgehog (they seem to like to name their releases using animal names). The default desktop is GNOME (there are versions for other desktops or window managers i.e. Kubuntu using the KDE desktop). Ubuntu uses Debian as a base so for all of you who have used Debian before this would be a breeze. Regardles of the system you choose, you can opt to install any of the desktops using apt-get. Ubuntu itself can be obtained from ubuntu.com

In Breezy Badger (5.1.10) they also offered another desktop option, which incidentally does not have its own release cd, called xubuntu which uses XFCE4 as the desktop environment. I've had a liking for this as it was small and simple so the moment i knew it was available i decided to download it. Obtaining it was rather simple. ALl i had to do was type "apt-get install xubuntu-desktop" and watch apt-get perform its miracle by downloading, installing and setting up the new desktop for me and i've been using it ever since. Quite recently i stumbled upon another ubuntu version called nubuntu.org which uses the fluxbox window manager for those looking for a more simplestic and HIGHLY configurable wm. I decided to give fluxbox a try since I've been hearing so many good things about it. I'll post my guide to configuring fluxbox later. Once I can find where i stuffed that tutorial of mine in the 1st place :P.

No comments: